Proposed changes to regulation of CILEX members
CILEX is consulting on moving regulation of its 7,000 authorised members away from CILEX Regulation Limited (CRL) to the much larger Solicitors Regulation Authority. We urge you to find out more and have your say.
Your views matter – time is running out. Please submit your response to the CILEX consultation before the deadline of 05 November 2023. The CILEX consultation is now closed.
What do the proposals mean for CILEX professionals and consumers?
CRL provides proportionate, cost-effective and focused regulation for 7,000 authorised CILEX lawyers and entities, as well as 9,000 non-authorised paralegals. The Solicitors Regulation Authority regulates 160,000 solicitors and 9,000 firms.
CRL’s view is that there are significant gaps and uncertainties in the detail of the consultation proposals, which make it hard to conclude whether they are in the best interests of either CILEX members or the public.
We are urging CILEX members to make sure they understand what is being proposed and ask for more detail, particularly as the CILEX Board has said that this change could go ahead even if its members do not agree with it. CILEX members are urged to get involved in such a significant change and to find out more before submitting a response.
Key questions from CRL include:
- How will a change of regulator improve regulation either for members or consumers?
- Will the 7,000 CILEX Fellows lose the input into regulatory decisions that they currently have?
- Will CILEX’s 9,000 paralegal members lose access to the voluntary, independent regulation that CRL currently provides?
- How will the public interest be served by making this change?
- How will SRA champion interests of CILEX members. CRL has committed to a new champion post to do this. Will the SRA commit to do same?
- How much will the change cost and who will pay?
Events took place during September and October 2023. The last one took place on 25 October 2023 in Birmingham.
Update – CRL consultation webinar 2 October 2023
The webinar looked at what the current CILEX consultation proposals mean for CILEX professionals and consumers. It also included an outline of our proposed response and key questions. We received a range of thought-provoking questions which can be found via the link below:
- Please access the webinar slides
- CRL’s Questions and Answers published following the webinar
CRL’s CILEX consultation response
Our response highlights significant gaps in the proposals which make it unclear whether they are in the best interests of either CILEX members or the public. Find out more –
Your views matter – time is running out. Please submit your response to the CILEX consultation before the deadline of 05 November 2023.
The CILEX consultation is now closed.