Why can you not investigate the complaint I have made about someone you regulate?

There are some issues that we cannot take forwards with an investigation. There might not be enough evidence. Alternatively, the problem may not be one that we can investigate under our rules (Enforcement Rules). For example, the complaint is about the service provided and not about misconduct. In most cases we cannot investigate service complaints and can only investigate such a complaint in exceptional circumstances.

We will always ask that you have spoken to our member and their firm to try and resolve the problem before we can consider your problem.

I know that someone you regulate did something wrong and I just want them to admit it and or apologise.

We have certain powers if we can prove that a regulated person or firm has done something wrong. However, we do not have the power to require an admission or apology.

If CILEx Regulation cannot help me, who else might I ask for help?
  • If you have a service complaint, you could contact the Legal Ombudsman
  • If your complaint relates to your personal data, you could contact the Information Commissioner’s Office
  • If you think that you want to take a person or firm to court you can obtain free advice from Citizens Advice
How long will it take you to deal with my complaint?

Some complaints will take longer to investigate than others, for example, if there is an ongoing investigation with another regulator or the police we may have to put our investigation on hold until this is completed.

I want to complain about the costs that I have been charged for my legal work, can you help me?

If you want to make a complaint about costs, you need to complain to the individual and/or firm that carried out the legal work for you. If you are not happy with their response, you should contact the Legal Ombudsman.

A person says that they are a Chartered Legal Executive, CILEx Practitioner or member of CILEx but they are not, and I want you to take action against them.

If a person is either a Chartered Legal Executive or CILEx Practitioner their details will usually be in the CILEx Authorised Practitioners Directory. If not, then you can contact us to enquire. However, if a person is not a member of CILEx, then we cannot take any action against them.

A person should not be able to say they are a legal professional when I know they are not. What can I do?

You will need to contact CILEx to explain the situation. The action they are likely to take is to contact the person involved and require them to stop referring to themselves as a legal professional.

I made a complaint but now I do not want you to take it any further and I want to withdraw my complaint.

As a regulator we are neutral. We do not act for you or for an individual or firm that we regulate. If we have been informed that a person or firm has behaved in such a way that they have breached our Code of Conduct, then we are required to carry on with our investigation in the public interest.

I have filled in the complaints form, why are you now asking me questions and asking for more information?

In most cases we will need to ask you questions to make sure we fully understand your complaint. We may need to ask for other information, so we can take our investigation forwards and successfully take a case to tribunal if necessary.