If you’re looking to start a new law firm, CILEx Regulation wants it to have the best chance to prosper, succeed and grow.
- guide you through the application process
- show you how to get the skills and knowledge to run your firm
- guide you on how to prepare your application for authorisation
Check our basic principles for applicants to find out if you can be regulated by us.
Anyone who is thinking of setting up independently should definitely speak to CILEx Regulation. I found the team very approachable and helpful throughout the whole process.
Mark Winton, managing partner of MJW Law
Benefits of running your own firm
- Be the boss
- Work/life balance
- Convenient office location
- Gain remuneration you deserve
- Focus on work you want to do
- Take back control
Types of firm and owner
We can help if your firm wants to offer any of the following:
- litigation (civil, criminal or family)
You must have a suitably qualified and approved manager to provide one of these legal activities, for example a solicitor, barrister or conveyancer.
A CILEx Fellow without practice rights can be an owner. All owners must be authorised to conduct legal work.
A non-legal professional can be an owner if you firm has an alternative business structure (ABS) – a structure which allows non-legal professionals to have a financial stake in the firm.
You must also have a compliance manager to oversee overall practice management and accounts management.
- Setting-up a law firm – key documents
- CILEx – for information on courses, qualifications and experience
- The Sole Practitioners Group
- GOV.UK – Set up a business
- The Federation of Small Businesses
For more information, contact us today to request a call back from one of our team.