Have your employment assessed as 'qualifying'

What is qualifying employment? 

Qualifying employment is work experience that helps you develop your competence to meet the entry requirements to become a Chartered Legal Executive.

To meet the qualifying employment requirements, you need to show that your current role is made up of at least 20 hours ‘wholly legal work’ a week and that you have at least three years of employment that we define as qualifying.

Although it’s not compulsory to have your qualifying employment assessed before you apply to become a Chartered Legal Executive, we strongly advise that you do.  If you don’t have your role assessed before you submit your  work-based learning portfolio, we won’t assess your portfolio until we have assessed your qualifying employment. This can make the application process longer, particularly if your role and work history haven’t met our requirements.

Please also see our FAQ page, this includes information (in relation to qualifying employment), for people who may have been `furloughed’ under the new Jobs Retention Scheme.

How do you demonstrate your qualifying employment?

We ask you to demonstrate your qualifying employment by completing the qualifying employment application form and paying the fee. You need to complete the application form as fully as possible so that we can judge from the information you have provided that:

    • you are working in a role which contains enough legal work in order for you to develop your competence and your career progression to the point that you make your application
    • you are supervised by a legally qualified person (if not you may still be able to meet our requirements, but we will have to refer your application to our Admissions and Licensing Committee (ALC) which oversees all individual admissions at CILEx Regulation. You will also need to provide a reference from your current employer that supports your application


This is because when you apply to be a Chartered Legal Executive, you need to show that:

  • you have a work history of at least three years that we define as qualifying employment
  • you have at least two years of continuous qualifying employment immediately preceding your application (including at least one year in the graduate grade of membership). This is so that we can see that you have current experience in legal practice. You can take a break of up to 12 months for any reason without breaking the continuity requirement

This interactive webinar provides more detailed guidance.


Am I ready?

Is my role legal?

Find out more in the Resource Library

Am I supervised?

You can still apply but your application will be heard by the Admissions and Licensing Committee

Do I work in English law?

You can still apply but your application will be heard by the Admissions and Licensing Committee

Do I work more than 20 hours a week?

You can still apply but your application will be heard by the Admissions and Licensing Committee

Do I work in paid employment?

You can still apply but your application will be heard by the Admissions and Licensing Committee
You are ready


If you think you are ready to make your application to have your qualifying employment assessed, complete the application form here.

Once you have completed all the paperwork, please send your application to CILEx Regulation for assessment with your payment.

We may need to ask you for more information in order to clarify some of the information you have provided, once we have made a decision, we will write to you to let you know the outcome. This will be either:

  • Approved
  • Part-approved
  • Referred to committee

Where your application is referred to the Committee, we will schedule this for the next available meeting and we endeavour to contact all applicants whose application has been heard within 10 working days. Please note we are unable to communicate the outcome of your application by telephone.

For more information on the work of the Admissions and Licensing Committee, please click here.

Next steps

We hope you are satisfied by the decision you have received. However, if you are unhappy with the decision you can appeal the decision. More information on the appeals process can be found here.

For further information, please contact us today to request a call back from one of our team.